Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Man vs. Wild

My dad goes backpacking every summer, and Ryan has always wanted to go, but this is the first year he's been able to.  His brother Joshua joined them, as did the Browns from Soda Springs.  They went to the Windrivers in Wyoming and started at the Big Sandy entrance.


This was their "tent."  My dad wants everything to be as lightweight as possible, which sometimes means skimping on important things like shelter.  Ryan said it took them HOURS to pack because Dad had to weigh EVERYTHING and count calories so that everything was just right.  I guess that's what happens when you go backpacking with an engineer.

There's the engineer / tour guide / mountain man!


The crew camped down by that little lake.  One day Ryan was able to call me out of the blue because he got cell phone reception from  the top of one of these peaks.  It was a nice surprise!

They hiked in along that green path.



Ryan pondering on the mysteries of life.


Ryan survived the wilderness, but he came home sunburned and scraped up.  Nevertheless, he had a lot of fun, and I'm glad he was able to go.



Meanwhile, back in Boise, things are ALWAYS wild with an almost two-year-old.

Bennett wanted to make some pancakes but made a mess instead.



A front-row seat.  The only problem was Mommy wouldn't turn on the TV.

One morning after I got ready for work, I came out to find Bennett like this.  He had climbed up in his seat and was all ready for breakfast.  I love this kid.


No comments: