Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Employment!

After a year of searching, I finally got a real job! Although my salary from teaching in Vegas continued through the end of last summer, as soon as I knew we would be moving to Boise, I began looking. The search continued when I got here . . . and it kept going, and going, and GOING. It was such a frustrating time, and it was SUPER hard for me to be optimistic. I guarantee people tired of my whining. Everyone said, “something will work out” or “God has a plan, and you’ll understand later.” But that was easy for them to say. We really needed a good job for at least one of us, financially, and because we need good health insurance more than the average family. Aside from that, I really, really, really hated subbing. I never knew 1. if I would work or 2. where or 3. for how long; and that was stressful. Also, I need something to call my own, work to have ownership over, which you just can’t get with temp work.

Just for fun, here are a few of the jobs I applied for (yes, note the desperation the following list suggests): Read-write tutoring, library aide, academic interventionist (whatever that is!), secretary, call centers (that’s when I really got desperate), ELL tutoring, receptionists, office assistant, temp agencies, customer service, public library positions, teacher’s assistant, and of course, about a billion teaching jobs.

I did actually turn a few jobs down because I didn’t feel right about them. I tried to talk myself into them, but it just wasn’t right. I could have worked as a library aide part-time, at Josten’s (? Random, I know), or as a temp at a payroll company making squat. Many times after a rough day of subbing, I wondered if I should have taken one of these.

But God had a plan, and yes, I admit that. The thing is, though, that before I got a job, I had to change my perspective. I needed to stop being angry and learn what I needed to. Subbing got easier, and I became really flexible and adaptable. I learned strategies from teachers all over the city and got an inside look at dozens of classrooms. I got my first exposure to elementary teaching and learned a lot about teaching little ones (though I’m glad I don’t have to everyday!). I had something to offer as a sub, too, because I had learned great classroom management in Vegas: when you’re a sub, crowd control becomes your primary role. I learned that I can work two jobs and Saturdays and be OK. I learned that I can do anything to earn a paycheck and help my family. I learned patience and understanding for others in the same situation. I learned how to budget better and live on very little. And by the end, I realized that if I had to sub next school year, I would OK.

If I hadn’t subbed, I wouldn’t have had the privilege to end the year at South Junior High, a really great school. I loved the 7th-graders I taught there, and I never would have thought I’d say that. If I hadn’t subbed, I’d be sitting at some desk, filing through paperwork and answering phones instead of teaching my best class ever for summer school. Seriously, I love it! I have 9 great students, and I am having an incredible time with them.

And finally (yes, I know I’m long-winded!), if God had given me one of those jobs I thought I had to have because it meant having benefits and going to one place everyday, I would have strayed away from teaching and ended up doing something that made me feel like a sell-out, something that didn’t bring the satisfaction teaching does. And I have teaching in my blood.

So in about two months, I’m going to start teaching English 9 and 11 at Nampa High School. Whereas so many of the other schools wouldn’t look at me because I didn’t have the right connections, this one believed in me. My background in Vegas schools probably piqued their interest, since Nampa is a rougher area. My interview was amazing, not only a chance to prove to the school that I would be a great person to hire, but it was actually also a way for me to reflect on myself as a teacher – where I’ve been and where I’m going. I knew I had the job, maybe even before I went, and definitely after, because of the feeling I got. Faith is easy to have when it’s supposed to happen.

We are so excited! Yes, sometimes you have to wait patiently for the hand of the Lord to be revealed. And the biggest thing I learned is that I had to be OK with where we were before the Lord was ready to bless us. But I definitely prefer this new plan.



Nampa High School, my new place of employment!

5 comments:

Tannie Datwyler said...

That is awesome! I'm glad you found a job. I like how you said that "teaching is in your blood." I feel that way too. I miss it a lot.... Tell Ryan hi from Richard.

MnM said...

Congrats!! Hope it turns out to be an awesome job!

Denae said...

Heather you are amazing. I am so proud of you and all that you do. Your faith is amazing and I wish I could say I would handle the situation the same.

Thanks for being such a great example to me! love you!

Liz Yost said...

Heather - my mom taught at Nampa High for quite some time - you should talk to her if you have questions. Its not as rough as people make it sound! You'll totally LOVE it.

Anonymous said...

Heather that is awesome that you got a job. I am so happy that you are able to teach in your own classroom again. It does make a big difference.